Monday, January 17, 2011

The Calendar Time In the NFL HU

I was fiddling with HU today and going through the calendar function to see what else can I use it for. Then I noticed the time displayed on the calendar screen is one hour ahead of the time displayed on my time clock.


As I scrolled through the HU screen, I just can’t find anywhere to configure the time for the HU. Then it occurred to me that the HU is probably are getting it time through some kind of sync over the air. The only way for the HU to sync with outside is through the GPS function. Even as I go through the GPS option screens I still can’t find any place to set the time.

It took me quite a while to figure out that the HU might be getting it time from the hidden GPS function in the diagnostic menu. Just as I thought I can see that there is a button to set the date and time in the hidden GPS function.

When you press the Set Date Time button, it will show you the following screen. From here you can set the date and time accordingly.

However I didn’t set it to the local time yet as I was wondering if the GPS is continuously syncing with some satellites to get the date and time. Is this how the HU is able to announce the day and date every time you start the car for the first time in any day? The time in the HU calendar function is actually the current Japan time which is one hour ahead of our time. I believed if I were to start the car after 11pm every night here, the HU might actually announce the next day. I will have to try this out to see if this is the case.

I will also need to spend some time researching on how GPS work before I can confirm if the GPS actually work in the giant.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Nighto, may I know how to assess the HDD date & time setting menu as shown on above screen pls?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kev,

    I have posted this before but here the instruction.

    Press the G-button (the top right bottom), then press the "Next Page" button. The first item on the left is the Calendar function.

    As for the GPS Date and Time menu, it is difficult to show in words. If you seriously need to know, send me an email and we can meet up and I'll demonstrate it to you.

    Hope this help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro Nighto,

    Do you know whether the method that you used to access the hidden GPS menu could be applied to the PFL HU as well? I've taken out the HU before, but strangely when I put it back, the displayed date & time seems unaffected by the removal, sort of like the HU got its own backup battery or... (put ur theory here..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fazamiza,

    I haven't tried that method in PFL HU yet so I am not sure. I certain would like to find out myself if I can get access to a PFL model.

    If your HU has GPS, it will automatically synchronise the date and time with the nearest satellite. That's why the date and time is unaffected!

    Anyway I tried it last week as well by removing the battery to do a ECU reset. After 30 minutes later when I reconnected the battery, my HU contents was all intact. Yes, I think the HU has it own "kind" of battery backup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro, fyi, GPS time are computed based on GMT Time.As such, Japan is keeping GMT +9 where as Msia is GMT +8. Try 2 figure out tht input of 09hrs & reduce it to 08hrs. Thn I suppose it shud display the Local Time.
    Jus my 2 cents,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I have tried to set it to local time before but the HU automatically sync again and reset it to the GPS time.

    I happen to start my giant at 11pm local time one night and it announced the date of the next day. That's how I discovered it reset by itself.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey can you tell what the face with the sound wave means and how it works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I am not familiar with that subject. If you know, please share with us.

      Cheers

      Delete
  8. pagi Nighto Chan ,

    boleh bagi email u 0r FB add to shyin_chan80@yahoo.com.my

    ReplyDelete